Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Chicken & Dumplings Again

Yes, I'd made this dish already but this version was so good yet different that I had to write it down so I would remember how to recreate it.

Last week, I bought a Costco chicken and we had half of it left (mostly because we were tired of eating it just roasted) after we made tacos, so I decided to make chicken & dumplings out of it tonight. I first boiled the whole thing (bones, skin & pulled meat) to extract as much chicken-ness out of it as possible (about 10 minutes), then removed skin, carcass and any other "floaties" hanging around. Use enough water to cover the chicken.

Next, I added about 3/8 tsp salt, 3/8 tsp onion powder, 1 cube vegetable bouillon and about 1/2-2/3 cup each of celery and carrots, and let them cook for about 30 minutes. I happen to have some chopped cilantro left over from our chicken taco meal and didn't want to waste them so tossed them in as well and let the soup reduce some more. The last step is to add the dumplings, which was just the standard procedure according to the directions on the biscuit mix.

The key to the intense flavors of this one was several fold: rich roasted chicken and the cilantro (who would've guessed?). I'm still cooking it right now (almost done) and it's already amazing! No gravy necessary this time.

**Final note: not necessary to add salt because flavors intensified once finished.

No comments: