Sunday, July 31, 2011

Beet Salad with Figs

My sister loves beets.  I didn't believe how good she swears they are, mostly because my only experience of them was with canned ones that had that tinny taste, until I was forced to cook the ones that came in the CSA box last summer.  Both my husband and I love them now.  I usually roast them, peel away the skin, and serve them sliced with a little salt and pepper.

While on vacation in Oregon, our favorite restaurant during the trip served this beet salad that just about everyone except us ordered, so I took that as a cue to see if I could also make my own version.  I happened to sample this white cheddar goat cheese (or is it goat's milk white cheddar cheese?) at the farmer's market last weekend and thought it'd go well with the beets.  The flavor is pungent with a smooth texture, like blue cheese or Gorgonzola, and is the perfect contrast from the sweetness of the balsamic fig reduction.  I made this twice within a week, the first time without the figs.  The following should make 4-6 servings, depending on portion size.

0.02 lb (~1/3 cup?) white cheddar goat cheese, cubed/crumbled
1 bag spring mix salad
1 large or 2 med beets
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 large figs, sliced into 8ths
1/4 cup chopped pecans

For the beets, I find it better to cook it earlier or the day before so that it has enough time to cool.  Coat the beets with cooking oil and roast in the oven at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.  Once cool to the touch, the skin should peel easily enough.  Slice into 1/8 inch rounds, then quarter.

Pour the olive oil into a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.  In a small sauce pan, cook the figs in the balsamic vinegar until the figs have wilted down.  Remove the figs and set aside.  Whisk the balsamic vinegar into the olive oil until thoroughly incorporated.  Toss the spring mix in the mixture so that all the leaves are coated.  Plate the greens and evenly divide the beets, pecans, cheese, and figs on top.

I used figs since they were what I had (got them from my parents' garden).  Any seasonal or dried fruit would work.  It's a hit in our household, and hopefully yours.

No comments: