Monday, August 8, 2011

Sole with Lemon-Butter Sauce

If you've ever shopped at Costco's meat and fish section, you can't miss the giant packets of fresh fish fillets.  I caved into temptation and bought two: one wild-caught salmon and one fillet of sole.  Fortunately for me, I found a quick and easy sole recipe in a cookbook that one of my mother-in-laws bought me last Christmas. This literally took 10 minutes to make.  The fillets were small, so I'd say this serves 3 if you use 8 fillets instead of 8.  I also didn't have any lemons handy and used fresh thyme from our garden instead.
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 8 sole fillets
  • 16 very thin lemon slice (from 1-2 lemons), seeds removed
  • juice of 1 lemon (3 tbsp)
  • 3 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
Place the wine in a large, lidded skillet. Fold each sole fillet into thirds. Arrange in the skillet; season with salt and pepper. Lay 2 overlapping lemon slices on each piece of fish.

Bring the wine to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer gently until the fish is opaque throughout, 3-5 minutes. With a spatula, transfer the fish to serving plates.

Return the liquid in the skillet to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup.  Add the lemon juice; remove from heat. Whisk in the butter until smooth. Season with salt; strain if desired.

No comments: