Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrck's Day!


So I attempted to make corned beef and cabbage in celebration of Ken's Irish heritage. I picked up a brined packet of corned beef from TJ's and put it in the slow cooker according to the instructions on the packaging while we were at work. As for the cabbage, the suggestion I found online for a traditional Irish meal was to add it to the corned beef broth, but after a few minutes, I didn't like the idea of everything tasting the same so I took it out and sauteed it instead. And an Irish meal wouldn't be complete without potatoes. TJ's had a colorful medley of tiny potatoes, which I baked with grape seed oil, garlic salt and rosemary in the oven.

Ken really enjoyed the corned beef, as well as my dad. For me, the flavor was pretty good but not the smell...something about all the brininess didn't appeal to my nose.

No comments: