Monday, June 18, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie Filling

This pie filling was much easier to make than I thought.  To start, I go to my standby, the Costco roast chicken.  I had already used most of it for other meals and had half the breast left, enough for two and then some. I removed the meat and used the carcass, skin, and any leftover drippings from the roast chicken to make a broth (about 4-5 cups of water in a medium sauce pan).  This was the most time-consuming step of the whole process (30-40 minutes).  To finish, strain any leftover bits from the broth and let it cool to remove the solidified fat.  Now the whole chicken has been used and nothing has gone to waste.

To make the most of the chicken, I made a soup first before the filling.  Add the shredded chicken meat, 2 cubes of Knorr vegetable bouillon, and about 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro and heat through.  The cilantro makes the soup amazingly fragrant, but use with discretion, as some folks are averse to it.

Next is to make the pie filling.  I didn't have any fresh veggies so ended up using a frozen medley of peas, corn, carrots and green beans, which worked just fine.  Saute this in some butter until thawed.  Add about 1 tbsp of flour (I used TJ's biscuit mix) to make a roux, stirring briskly until the flour is slightly browned, then add about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth, stirring to get a creamy consistency.  Scoop in about a cup of the shredded chicken that's in the soup into this mixture.  Finish off by adding the cream. This makes enough for 2 individual bowls of pie. 

Here's a rundown of the ingredients:
4-5 cups water (for broth)
1/2 cup broth
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
1 cup frozen vegetable medley
1 cup shredded chicken breast
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/3 cup cream

The pie crust is still in progress...  The crescent roll dough that I tried using did not cook evenly, so that was a bad idea.  One other thing that I learned was to find some bowls with large enough lips to hold the crust up.  I used casserole bowls with long handles, and the dough sagged into the filling.  Someone let me know if you have a good suggestion for bowls.  We did have plenty of chicken soup left to fill Ken's belly when the pie alone wasn't enough.  There's still some soup left, so I'm thinking of modifying it to make chicken & dumplings.

No comments: