Saturday, June 30, 2012

Easy Pie Dough

Since the unsuccessful attempt of using crescent roll dough as pie dough in the previous post, I was intent on making one the right way.  There were many that I found in my search, and I ended up using the simplest one ingredient-wise, from Martha Stewart.

I only made half the portion, and yielded 3 mini chicken pot pies (in a muffin tin) using the filling ingredients from the previous post as well as 3.5 mac & cheese filled (yes, mac & cheese!) hand-held pies, which are kind of like hot pockets.  Use about 2 tablespoons or an ice scream scoop of filling, otherwise over-stuffing can cause bubbling out and lead to burns.  Be sure to cut slits on top to allow the steam to escape.  Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then turn the heat down to 375 or 350 for another 10-15 minutes.

These pies were made late in the evening, sometime after dinner, so I let them cool overnight.  Today, I zapped one in the micro for about 30 seconds, long enough so the inside is piping hot and the crust still very flaky.  We're heading over to my parents' today so I'll take both types of pies over to share.

No comments: