Friday, January 22, 2010

Bulk Flap Meat


Having a FoodSaver is SO awesome! I can buy meat in bulk to freeze so I'll have it handy when I can't get to the store. Last month, I got some flap meat from Costco and divided it up, stored some just plain and some marinated in Yoshida's marinade. It's a great cut that's relatively low in fat. We got a grill pan last week and now's the perfect time to try it out since it's too cold and rainy to cook on the outdoor grill. This was an easy meal and took no time and prep to make.

Start by steaming or boiling the corn first. This is a good time to grill the zucchini. I just coated the zucchini with seasoned cooking oil, and grilled the corn when I was ready to cook the meat so they're both done about the same time.

The meat was lopsided in thickness (from 1/2 inch to 1 inch), which worked out for us since Ken likes his meat more cooked than I do. Make sure the pan is nice and hot before cooking. I cooked each side for about 4-5 minutes. When you take it off the grill, be sure to let the meat rest for about 5 minutes before slicing, then cut against the grain into thin slices. Serve immediately!

One note on the bread...this is spinach cheese bread from the S. Pasadena farmer's market...so tasty with garlic butter.

No comments: