Monday, January 18, 2010

Pot Roast w/ Gravy

This was my first attempt at making pot roast. I wasn't quite sure how it'd turn out, but it was a hit. As for the gravy, Ken's stepmom had taught me how to make it while we were in New Jersey, but I couldn't quite remember how it all went so had to look up how to do the roux before getting started and improvised the rest of the way.

At first, the flour clumped up before it even had a chance to brown, and I thought I'd ruined it. I panicked then just started adding a little of the liquid at a time. The flour just kept soaking up the liquid, and the more I added, the thicker and more voluminous it got, but I just kept adding liquid until I eventually got the right consistency. I don't know how much liquid it ended up being, so it's safe to say to just keep adding until it looks right. I think I started off with too much flour because there was A LOT of gravy!

I didn't use the fat skimmed from the liquid for the gravy because it just sounded too rich, but that would've worked as well. This was easier than I remembered and it got high marks from Ken!

Pot Roast
  • 1 roast
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 box beef stock
In a pan, sear all sides of the roast until brown. Set the crock pot on HIGH and add all the ingredients in. Let it cook for about 4 hours or more. Skim any fat from the liquid.

Gravy
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • about 1 1/2 cups of cooking liquid from roast
Melt the butter until it bubbles, then add all the flour, making sure to whisk until all the flour is mixed with the butter. Spoon in about a half cup of the liquid and continue to whisk. Keep spooning in liquid until the gravy gets to the consistency of your liking. Don't forget to season it with salt and pepper at the end. This makes a lot of gravy, so if you want less, start with a smaller amount (1 tbsp each of butter and flour).

*This picture of the roast was taken from night #2, served with mac & cheese w/ smoked gouda, and corn & carrots.

No comments: