Monday, January 25, 2010

Corn, Spinach & Peppers

Two weekends ago, we went to eat at a cafe that served French country food and I had this amazing SIDE DISH! Today, like I do just about every day on my drive home, I racked my brain for dinner ideas. I already had the protein planned out but not the side. I knew I had some peppers and spinach on hand, and my mind wandered back to this dish. I just had to make a quick stop at the market for corn on the cob.
  • 1 corn on the cob, shucked
  • 1 red pepper, seeded and cut so that slices are flat to be grilled
  • 1/2 bunch of spinach, stems cut (cut in half the really large leaves)
  • 3 tbsp unsalted utter
I don't know if this was how they did it, but it was tasty nevertheless. On the stovetop grill, cook the corn and red pepper until they have a slight char. I added some water to steam and speed up the cooking. At this point, the corn was not cooked all the way through and the pepper was not crunchy anymore. Remove from heat then dice the pepper slices and cut the corn kernels. Over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the spinach and cover until it wilts. Add the peppers and kernels, season, and stir until everything's sufficiently moist. The corn should still have some crunch to it.

I noticed that the original dish had some broth to it, and mine didn't, so I would add some water next time because broth definitely added to the overall tastiness. This was so good we didn't have any leftovers.

2 comments:

ayhunt said...

Make a corn broth with the cobs next time. Just cover the cobs with cold water, bring to just a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. You can use this broth instead of water in your veggie dish.

Diana said...

Thanks...I tried it out!