Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Katsudon


We bought some thinly sliced pork chops and I wasn't quite sure what to do with them until the last minute today while at the market. There were also some yaki soba and ready-to-cook shrimp tempura left in the fridge so I decided to do a Japanese meal. The tonkatsu was pretty easy to do, but the katsudon sauce needed some adjustment...a bit too salty and concentrated in flavor. I didn't have the exact ingredients (namely mirin and dashi soup) listed on the link to the katsudon and instead made adjustments to the dipping sauce that I bought today. Also forgot the onion and substituted it with the shallots I already had. Top it all off with green onions.

Update: Since we had two leftover tonkatsu, we had it again the next day with adjustments to the previous night's sauce. In the future, I'll probably use a 1/2 cup of the tempura dipping sauce (tastes like the same base as the dashi soup), dilute it with 1 cup of water, and leave out the soy sauce and sugar. As for the mirin, I'll leave that out as well unless I happen to have some on hand. The shallots were an okay substitute but the onion probably would've been better.

No comments: