Friday, July 31, 2009

Burger Dog

So I was racking my brain about what to make for dinner tonight, and the starting point was knowing what protein I had on hand, which turned out to be lean ground beef. Since we've been having pasta all week, it was time for a break. We had some hot dog buns so I thought, "Why not a burger?" When I tossed the idea to Ken, he was on board with getting burger buns, but then we'd end up with a giant pile of leftover burger and hot dog buns. I went ahead with the burger dog idea and they turned out just fine.

I made a mixture of ground beef, chopped onions and cilantro (from the garden!). The burger was too lean so I added some grape seed oil and shredded parmesan cheese to the mixture (don't forget the salt). Since I didn't have any sliced cheese, I stuffed the burgers with mozzarella medallions that were cut into halves to fit the elongated patty shape. I made two of the elongated patties and used the rest of the mixture to make round burger patties.

And since I only had cherry tomatoes from the garden, I made a caprece salad on the side in place of the standard lettuce and tomatoes that would've gone into the burger, which made this burger somewhat deconstructed. Anyway, this was a good way to get dinner on the table by making do with whatever we had on hand at the time. Yay!

No comments: