Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fried Calamari

My dad was gifted a pile of squid from his friend, who was first gifted with an even bigger pile of squid from his fisherman friend, and I became the sole recipient of all the squid from my dad. He first brought it over last Friday, which I cleaned and fried up. I have never cleaned squid but had a general idea, since there isn't much to their anatomy: a body tube with the quill and a head with tentacles.

The attempt was pretty successful for a first but the squid could've been cleaned better. Separate the eyes and tentacles by pulling away from the body, and pull out the quill and the membranous lining in the tube. Cut the tentacles away from the eyes, careful not to cut the ink sacs in the eye area. Cut the tube into 1/2 inch segments. Be sure to rinse out the tube bits thoroughly. Tonight was my second attempt and I made a more thorough cleaning job. I dusted the tubes and tentacles in flour and dropped the pieces into the deep fryer until golden, then seasoned with salt and finely ground white pepper (Chinese style and no aioli required!).

Funny thing tonight that after we were done with dinner, Alton Brown's "Good Eats" episode happened to be on squid and gave some great cleaning and cooking tips. Be sure to remove the rudder!

Ken and Dad were quite pleased with the outcome. My favorite's the tentacles and it's a good thing for me that Ken only likes the tubes.

No comments: